General Science Questions and Answers set-1 for SSC exams, Railway exams and other competitive exams.
General Science Questions and Answers Set-1
1. Which among the following is white phosphorus?
2. Adding which substance gives green colour to glass?
(a) Calcium oxide
(b) Chromium oxide
(c) Iron oxide
(d) Manganese oxide
3. Alkali metals can-
(a) Be highly unstable at room temperature
(b) Vaporize at room temperature
(c) Easily gain electrons
(d) Easily lose electrons
4. What is baking soda?
(a) Aluminium bicarbonate
(b) Sodium isolate
(c) Sodium bicarbonate
(d) Aluminium sulphate
5. What does a catalyst do in a reaction?
(a) Changes activation energy
(b) Changes kinetic energy of reactants
(c) Changes potential energy of products
(d) Changes potential energy of reactants
6. Which among the following is present inside the nucleus of an atom?
(a) Protons and Neutrons
(b) Electrons and Protons
(c) Neutrons and Electrons
(d) Neutrons, Protons, Electrons
7. Which among the following is an endothermic reaction?
(d) Burning of natural gas
8. Which among the following elements is a liquid at room temperature?
9. Name the catalyst used in the conversion of milk into curd?
10. Acids turn ____ litmus _____.
(a) red, blue
(b) green, yellow
(c) blue, red
(d) yellow, green
11._______ fiber is used in making bristles for brushes.
12. What is the full form of PVC?
(a) Phosphonil vinyl Carbonate
(b) Polyvinyl S Carbonate
(c) Polyvinyl Carbonate
(d) Polyvinyl Chloride
13. Automobile exhaust leads to a poisonous pollutant
(a) Carbon Dioxide
(b) Sulphur Dioxide
(c) Carbon Monoxide
(d) Nitrous Oxide
14. Aromatic hydrocarbons contains at least ___ benzene like ring in their molecules.
15. Which among the following has the maximum density?
16. Chromite is an ore/mineral of-
17. What happens in an oxidation reaction?
(a) Protons are lost
(b) Electrons are lost
(c) Neutrons are lost
(d) Electrons are gained
18. Who discovered Nitrogen?
19. The reactions in which oxidation and reduction occur simultaneously are called ______
(a) Feral reactions
(b) Redox reactions
(c) Demug reactions
(d) Kerol reactions
20. Device used for the detection and measurement of all types of radiation (alpha, beta and gamma)-
(b) Geiger counter
21. Which among the following is false about alpha particles?
(a) They have high ionizing power
(b) They have a high penetrating power
(c) They have high kinetic energy
(d) They are positively charged helium nuclei
22. Haematite is an ore/mineral of
23. Soda water was invented by-
(a) Tivadar Puskas
(b) Joseph Priestley
(c) Petrache Poenaru
(d) James Leonard Plimpton
24. The mass of proton and mass of _______ is same.
(d) Alpha particle
25. Which among the following is not a characteristic of oxidation reaction?
(a) It involves loss of electrons
(b) It involves the addition of oxygen
(c) It involves the addition of hydrogen
(d) It involves the addition of an electronegative element